blahblahbloglog

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Mexican Flu

A media illusion, to take our minds off the recession?
I have been unwell since I returned from Belfast and as my condition was getting worse, in fact I had taken to my bed - I telephoned the doctor's surgery, to find out if help was available for those suffering from regular flu. I had already denied that it was an emergency, so I was informed that I had to attend the surgery the next morning.
There, I was advised that I did not have any kind of flu, because if I did, I would not have been able to get out of bed. This conundrum was beyond my fuddled abilities to work out, but I was quite happy to be able to collect a prescription for an antibiotic to help clear up the throat infection which I was identified as having.
I think that I received a friendlier reception than I might otherwise have done, only because my diabetes makes any infection potentially more dangerous. Secondary infections can be much worse than the initial one, so even quite minor ones, such as the one from which - my doctor implied - I was suffering, could turn nasty.
I felt what I had suffered through the last week had been pretty unpleasant. The Mexican flu sufferers didn't seem to have been particularly ill either. Supposing they had called our local doctor's surgery, would they have been required to sit in the waiting room? Well, obviously not if they had mentioned Mexico.

As my doctor said to me as I left, clutching my prescription, 'Just don't have anything to do with any Mexicans!'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home