blahblahbloglog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Neat Package


I went to see 'An Inconvenient Truth' the other night and although it was as good as people said,in the sense of statistics and unpalatable truths made quite watchable for 90-100 minutes, I was aware of the 'packaging' of the ex-would-be-President, an almost cultic appeal of the individual,with many lingering close-ups of his not unattractive face. (my goodness, though, what a dish he was in his youth. He and Tipper must have been Mr and Mrs Prom King and Queen).
Then there were the soft-focus reminiscences of his idyllic youth and sad family accidents and sadnesses. Surely these were pasted in pieces, album shots, which would not have appeared in his slide show.
I admit my emotions were stirred, but I also felt manipulated in the way these pieces were injected to the global warming theme. It isn't really necessary to explain whyhe followed up the cause, considering how crucial it is to us all, unless he was trying to present a certain image of himself.
Neither was there any explanation of how Gore lightened his own carbon footprint, having added considerably to emissions by flying all over the world, in order to deliver this message, as we were told repeatedly.
Maybe that was the reason for making the film, so that he could stop traversing the globe by aeroplane, but if so, it wasn't stated at all.
It was nice to see that he had managed to find a purpose after the terrible shock of the stolen election, but I kept wondering----where was Tipper? He seemed to be travelling constantly alone. Maybe I didn't notice her in the throngs of people looking at him, snapping pictures and listening to his lectures.
I spent quite a lot of time thinking about these things, because, frankly, there wasn't much in the film that I hadn't heard before and there were some very hokey bits of animation jammed in as well.
It made a sad picture and I wondered what his long range plans are:is he being groomed for some top-notch international job or simply settling into an Elder Statesman role?
I certainly hope that Tipper managed to recover a sense of purpose as well as he did, whatever she is doing (fundraising for the air fares?)and wherever she is (at home sorting the recycling every weekend?)while Al jets endlessly around the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home