blahblahbloglog

Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's been ages, but here I am again

I'm back from the ruins of Crete - and very interesting they were, while possibly not meriting the 3 weeks I had allotted to them, but I did revisit some places I hadn't been for, oh about 36 years, to realise that I had changed over those years, whereas those few people who apparently never left, had remained in their own little time-warp world. Still, I am sure they are quite happy selling VERY poor quality artwork to tourists, who amazingly were handing over actual cash in exchange for excrable daubs. And I was not in the least jealous.
Some new places I visited were lovely and one or two worth revisiting. The Museum of Heraklion is full of all the finds from the Minoan sites, well, all except for those to be found in the museums of Agios Nikolaos, Siteia and Archanes ans I felt privileged to revisit it now, since it is on the point of closing for several years for a complete refit. I daresay when it reopens, there will be a lot less stuff on display, but more interpretative information than at present. It remains to be seen if this will be a real advantage.
I found the seals to be the real winner of the displays and regretted there was not more information about them. The degree of restoration of the frescoes and the ruins themselves, made me question the authenticity of some of the given interpretations. Once a thing has been presented authoritatively in a certain light, it is hard to be objective about it, in order to see it clearly and possibly reinterpret its meaning.
Anyway, here's hoping the exhaustive research helps me in the Aegean Bronze Age course which I hope to(- had better!) sign up to next year.
Exam results were not out until after I returned and all is well, I passed with a first and a 2.1 for Archaeology which is almost a miracle after the way I bollixed up the first 2 papers. I am really pleased about the first for History of Art, because I made a mess of that last year, so it was good to improve on that result, although I didn't feel I did all that well in the exams. In archaeolgy I dropped 10%, but felt relieved it wasn't worse. Of course it would be good to get Firsts in both subjects.....
Everyone I know of so far is through, although I haven't heard of too many firsts. My 'running mate' in Art, Finola, also got a 1st, although I was slightly ahead on points. We suspect that that won't be good enough for the prize however. She was overall ahead of me on aggregate points, whereas last year I was ahead, but she won the Art prize and I didn't get the Archaeology prize. An Italian girl won that. The previous year the Art prize was won by a Finnish girl, neither of whom are easily understood when speaking English, so their written work must be outstanding.
The feeling of relief, to get the exam results before I go away again, is wonderful and makes one realise the amount of background stress that waiting for them induces, especially as they were released 2 weeks later than last year. 3rd year students also got their results on the same day we did.
Blame Modularisation - they got their results 5 days before ours were out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home