blahblahbloglog

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Off To the Wilds of Wicklow - part II

I have my brand new trowel - 4", not 4.5 as specified, but that was the best I cd come up with and kneeling pad. I have my steel-capped boots - they even have steel midsoles, presumably to protect me from attack from below, I have my brand new cheap, thin raingear, socks (2 pr.) gloves, hat, thermoses, notebook, camera, pens and pencils. Will it all pack into my backpack or should I purchase a bergen as recommended by the SAS, complete with taupaulin and mosquito net? I do have first aid kit, sunscreen cream and Jungle Formula spray against the possible midges, although everyone knows, there is no real pretection against them short of a midge hood.
Now, for what possible hazard is this formidable pile of equipment required? A trip to Borneo, no doubt? The answer is that a series of day trips (no overnights)to the Wicklow Gap in August, not March, requires this gear to be hauled in on a daily basis, complete with fresh provisions for each day - food and water and hot drinks. Clothing,should be of assorted layers, in order to be ready for any weather conditions, from intense sun to steady rain, hail, total cloud cover to the ground, thunder, lightning or even snow.
I can see the need for most of it but I do take issue with the steel-capped waterproof boots.These are not a cheap option and may be worn for a total of 5 days before being cast aside as never agin necessary items. We have not previously been asked to come up with anything more substantial than waterproof boots for field trips but it seems that the insidious Health & Safety (Organisation? - who are they anyway?)have now decreed that these are essential to our safety. The cheapest I found were €30 and they weren't waterproof. I settled for a pair at €40, which were 'water resistant' and looked more comfortable although they the above-mentioned steel-lined midsoles which hardly sounds a soft option. Lots of socks and hope that there is not too much walking involved.
I did want to recce this tough terrain and site before the scheduled course begins at the end of the month, but due to a number of crossed and delayed emails and the holiday season, it didn't happen. So, next week at some horrible hour, I must rise, go into college, return tediously in the hired minibus, along the road I have just paid to journey, continuing south for some miles, eventually rising to the scene of our previous crime in March. From there we will walk to the new site on the opposite hillside and begin our one remaining chance at Practical Archaeology within this course. We can only hope that the weather gods smile on us and we are not 'snowed out' as we were in March or have some other reason for the dreaded Health and Safety gods te refuse to allow us to complete this section of the course.
Plus I hope that I can walk in the plug-ugly boots, without my feet becoming minced to pieces. I have worn steel capped rubber boots before, when I worked on fishing boats. They were hideously uncomfortable, kept the feet soaked in unevaporated sweat, producing a variety of trench foot and eventually were punctured by a gaff which missed the steel cap by a fraction, fortunately not puncturing the foot inside them, which rendered them no longer waterproof. Come to think of it, I still have them somewhere.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home