blahblahbloglog

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Is this summer?



What will winter bring if rain, wind and cold temperatures are now normal for summer? I don't really mind; I have lots of reading to do, although it would be nice to do some of it sprawled on the person-sized patch of grass out the back. My flowers don't mind it; although the Madonna lilies took weeks to open, they look marvelous now, in spite of the drenching they received yesterday.

Meanwhile, I was reviewing exam scripts. Not very comforting for my vanity or even what I wanted to do but it was the only way of discovering the marks for my individual exams. I discovered that I was unremittingly second class last year and there are no grounds for hoping it could be otherwise - in archaeology. I shall now move graciously on and concentrate on my 'good' subject. At least I can console myself that I was top of the class there.

I am reading up on landscape: theory, symbolism,painting, gardens, all aspects. All fascinating: I do hope it works out as a dissertation project. The worst thing that might happen now is to discover that someone else is doing something too similar but I reckon I could sidestep their choice and develop another angle if I have read widely enough.

What with banks keeping me busy running around in circles with weird and sudden reversals of policy and unfathomable errors made at my expense, trying to complete repainting my front door despite the inclement weather and workmen digging the road outside AND trying to sort out a few appointments and keeping up with friends, requiring much time on the telephone, bus and computer, I wonder how I ever found time for a full-time course.
The real GOOD news of the week is that my grant has been approved and the fees will be paid. It seems I mistook the amount of the MA fees - they will be paid in full, leaving me only a small registration fee to pay - and the grant has increased slightly - probably only by the cost of inflation but it is a relief, seeing that most of my income will shrink this year. Thank you so much, Irish Government - what a touching faith you show in me! Shall I ever get the chance to show my appreciation?

Too much gratitude - I had better return to Grumpy Old Woman mode. I see the rain clouds approaching; time to don the raincoat once more and sally forth to do battle with the direct-debit arrangements at the bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home