blahblahbloglog

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Far-vell, St Bartrick

Sorry - that Danish-accented ad has got to me...
Of course, it isn't over, because the Irish government has decreed that St Patrick's Day lasts for a week now, so they can scrape more money out of the tourist - and Irish - pocket. This year, with it falling on a Saturday, is fortuitous, or maybe not, since many people now take a four-day weekend, with the double excuse of Mother's Day on Sunday. Since St Pat's was on a Saturday, causing no disruption to normal lives, with people flocking to the city, or speeding away from it, if they have any sense --Monday must be also a holiday, so that no normal business can be resumed until at least Tuesday.
The greetings card shops have practically gone into meltdown, with St P, Mother's Day AND Easter cards simultaneously on display.
Sooner or later,Mother's Day will have to be moved to match the American one - some 6 weeks hence, falling in a relatively empty corner of the calendar - and there aren't many of them left now, what with the RUNUP (my least favourite portmanteau word) to other holidays extending further and further back from the event itself.
The time approaches when there will be no time of the year when we are not engaged in the runup, or the celebration of, some spurious holiday.
I mean,MOTHER'S DAY?? As if we are not, at any other time?

This rant has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I am now engaged in the runup to final exams, that yesterday I spent 12 hours,finishing off THREE (count'em) essays and that TODAY, I must return to my neglected dissertation, without the adulation of my offspring to cheer me on my way.
Well, I'm expecting nothing: one is away in San Francisco, doubtless recovering from yesterday's excesses - and is bound to forget that Irish M Day falls 6 weeks before the American celebrations, without the reminders from Hallmark cards in the shops.
T'other went off to get drunk yesterday and has never been known to remember any event that might require a present being bought with his own money.
So Yar, Boo and Sucks, as they say in the playground. Well, they used to.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home