blahblahbloglog

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Another hellish time before managing to log on

Maybe it's my shocking memory but every time the computer loses my user name and password, I instantly forget them too, making me unable to post until I reset the password and go through a variety of hoops to identify which blog I am trying to recover. It has been known to take me up to several weeks, but tonight it took about one hour of being connected to several abandoned blogs before I managed to get back to this one. Let's hope the computer holds onto my details for a while so I don't have to repeat the whole miserable process again.

I have been in a state of Grand Funk for a while now and have not entirely pulled out if it yet, but I am cheered to get the good news that I have been awarded a postgraduate award of €€€, which, if I understand the terms correctly, will be extended into my PhD years, if I can continue getting good grades. So I had better deliver a good thesis...
The slide exams and the presentation are done and dusted; I have had only one essay back so far but that was an A grade, so all is well so far.
The problem remains the thesis topic and the research. I feel horribly late and behind because I have written nothing as yet - -in fact, I am not at all clear what I am doing at all but am trying not to panic, continue reading and hope all becomes clearer soon.
I am free of lectures as of today until 22 January 2008. I may have some invigilating work but I am on the standby team only, so I may have none at all or very little, I suspect. I'm not sure why I have not been given more but I think they take on those who have done it before first and maybe I didn't apply quickly enough. I don't know - but the award money certainly cushions the disappointment I felt when I realised that I would not have 2 solid weeks employment before Christmas as I had assumed.

I hope I continue to feel more upbeat. The conferring ceremony this Monday, with a poor speech from the President of the College, who failed to acknowledge the graduates sitting in front of him, did nothing to cheer me up. We graduands were cut into 3 alphabetical groups, with no chance to liaise with each other until the evening (by which time most had long since departed, needless to say). The snacks at that time were low quality and unsuitably childish, certainly not worth waiting for. (The Awards ceremony ones were far superior, with wine rather than execrable tea and coffee).
Who knows? Maybe I will be going to that next year; there was no mention of it in the notification of the Award but it is arranged separately so I may hear later.

Winter is here and I must fight a tendency towards depression whatever the excuses are for it. I can't complain about today's news anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home