blahblahbloglog

Friday, December 21, 2007

Busy but not happy

Busy having a cold AND invigilating exams exactly a year after having to endure taking one myself at the same miserable venue.
It took quite a bit of doing even to land this far-from-prize seasonal jobbette. I applied months ago at the suggestion of someone who had done it the summer before, having graduated at Christmas (you need to be a graduate in order to hand out papers, point out the way to a loo to a candidate and collect the papers in again). I heard nothing from admin and went to inquire at the end of the term, was told that I was on the 'spare'list. I dutifully attended the information session anyway.

I was not assigned any shifts. Three days into the exams I went to admin and was given a week's work at the larger venue, the small on-campus sessions for the disabled, much-prized, were all full. Despite this, the friend I had on that team, was constantly given so many further shifts to fill out her 'dance card' that she was almost overstretched (but unable to refuse the chance of relatively easy money). So - it isn't meant to be fair - rampantly disorganised and at the mercy of croneyism, more like.

Anyway, as soon as I entered the place I caught an upside down sort of cold from their strange form of heating and the combined mass of hundreds of students heaving with fear and last night's beer.

***
My post was rudely interrupted by some power problem at this - or rather a later point - but this is all I found when I checked back a few days later.
***
I cannot remember what I was going to say... I am about to go away for a Christmas break to a friend's house. It will be good to get away but whether I can really get the thinking-space I really need is doubtful. I have been so mentally volatile recently that it is quite alarming, alternating beween wild despair and quiet confidence, which is quite exhausting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home