blahblahbloglog

Saturday, September 06, 2008

no discernible danger



It has been a long time, hasn't it?
While I was writing my dissertation, only a minor dissertation, as I was reminded more than once, I could not find the energy to see if I could remember my username and password. The last time I tried, things went pear-shaped and I vowed not to worry my dear little head about blogging until the stress of the thesis was all over.
and now it is, as is the summer. In a nasty way I'm glad it has been another crap summer, since I didn't care that I was stuck inside, fretting over page references, footnotes and captions. Because I think I spent more time at that task than I did writing the text. As a result, it wasn't very good but it has been submitted and I am past caring. I am trying to recover fitness, energy levels and an appetite to resume studies shortly.
The first two will be difficult and the third is an unknown quantity.

I was thinking about the CERN experiment. 20 years ago, the patch of ground I lived on in California was being considered as the site of the accelerator, one of two sites, I think, that were being investigated in America. Obviously, ours was not the site chosen. How different life might have been if it had been; the scrubby fields around us would have become valuable real estate. Or maybe not; we might have been compulsorily bought out at a government-arranged sum. Either way, we might have got something out of it. As it was I moved away, for reasons unconnected, and life changed anyway.

I do hope that dark matter is created/discovered/observed and lessons learned. Needless to say, I'm no scientist but I'm not worried about the world ending.
I just listened to Peter Cook and Rowan Atkinson's 'End of the World' sketch on a free CD and I feel quite unconcerned about CERN.
At least I finished the darn dissertation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home